Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Relaxing week

So after my previous crazy weekend, I have the feeling that everything is going to seem pretty mellow from here forward. So far this week has been exactly that. I went to a few museums, the Museo de Maritim (which is a museum built from an old shipyard down by the harbor, and has lots of replicas and many preserved old items from Barcelona's maritim history. They were in fact the power of the sea a few centuries ago, and there was a lot of interesting information) and the FC Barcelona football museum, where they have the Champions Cup (the biggest award in club soccer, basically winning the Super Bowl here...) and got to see the 120,000 person stadium. It was absolutely massive, with all the seats packed together. I couldn't even imagine the place filled to capacity, with hundreds of thousands of screaming rambuncous fans. It is one thing I really wish I could see here.

Another day I went up the 200 meters to the top of one of the towers of La Sagrada Familia and had an excellent view of the city, albeit from a very precarious position. I also went to the Gaudi designed Parc Guell, which was originally designed to be a country club for elite Barcelonians, but after the financier died, the city commissioned it and turned it into a public park. It is a strange, almost fantasy land like park with weird houses that look like gingerbread house, cool sculptures, a leaning towers, strange caves; basically a very strange and surreal park designed by the cities most famous arcitect.

Other than that it has been a very mild, relaxing week where i seem to have done a lot of walking/exploring around districts and finding cool places to eat. Tommorrow our class is going to do an exchange thing with another spanish school where their students are learning english, and we are going to talk with them and do activiteis etc which should be really fun. After that I am going to take a train up north to nicer beaches away from the city and see how they are. This weekend I have an excursion with my school to Madrid, we are taking a 9 hour bus right (ugh!) and then get to stay in a hotel and the next day get a tour of the city. My dad and step mom are coming out this weekend as well so I am going to fly home early to show them around a bit. So, have a good weekend and ill try to post some pictures up if I can!

David

No comments:

Post a Comment